Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Thoughts Too Long For Twitter: Helter Skelter

Anticipation. It may actually be the best of the roller-coaster belly-flop feelings.

Right now, I have another story out there in the universe, sitting in someone's slush pile, just waiting to be read over. And most likely rejected (90 percent sure!). But, at this moment, it hasn't been rejected yet. I've done the work. I've polished it up. I've read all the guidelines and hit "submit." Now, it's just waiting.
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide...

The other day, as I watched the kiddo slide on one of those three-step plastic toddler slides--climb up, slide down, clap clap clap, climb up, slide down again--the question came to me: What is the best part of the slide? The bottom, when it's over? The middle, when you're moving? Or is it the top, the anticipation, the part of the slide where you've done the work, you've climbed the steps, and now you are there. The ready, set, before the go.

That's it, I think. That's the sweet spot.

Saint Thomas (Petty) once said that waiting is the hardest part, but I'm starting to think it could be the best part, too. The not knowing. The "all things are possible" moment.

It's a lovely feeling.

Wish me luck,
LLH

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: rejected. Of course. But the reader gave me actual feedback, and that I found helpful. And after some soul searching and long talks with my mate, I think I have some good ideas for updates. Stay tuned! Someone out there may still want my story!

    ReplyDelete